Leadership Ellis County
Applications will be open from July 1, 2022 through August 1, 2022.
- September 22-23 Camp Retreat 4:00pm – 4:00 pm
- October 21
- November 18
- December 16
- January 20
- February 15 – State Government Day*
- March 17
- April 21
- May 19
- June 16 – LEC Graduation
*State Government Day is not included in tuition. Cost of State Government Day to be determined.
- Overnight Stay (camp retreat)
- Graduation Party
- Other Coordinated Activities
What will I gain from participating?
Participation in Leadership Ellis County offers a unique opportunity to be part of a nine-month experience during which you will learn about yourself and about the many different communities that are part of Ellis County. In addition, you will make lifetime friendships with individuals representing the diversity of the county.
At the end of the program year, graduates will discover that their Leadership Ellis County experience has been life-changing, professionally and personally.
Participants will receive:
- A broader and more profound understanding of complex community issues
- A deeper appreciation of how these community issues relate to one another in a greater system
- A heightened recognition of the potential influence civic leaders have on community issues
- An increased understanding of ways to be effective contributors within the community
- A deep understanding of the value of collaborating with diverse partners to accomplish complex goals
- A greatly expanded network of colleagues to serve as resources in their endeavors.
- A greater commitment to being involved in their communities in even more meaningful ways
Who Should Apply?
Typically, LEC participants are established leaders in the civic and business community who are looking to broaden their impact in Ellis County.
Ideal candidates for the LEC Program:
- Have a proven record of service and commitment in their professions and community
- MUST be a resident of or work chiefly in Ellis County
What if I apply and am not selected?
Those who apply to the LEC program, and are not selected the first year, are strongly encouraged to reapply. Experienced civic and community leaders recognize that a long-term perspective and perseverance are fundamental to success. Because this curriculum can only be successful when the class composition reflects the diversity of Ellis County, the Selection Committee selects individuals for each class to reflect Ellis County’s geographic and professional diversity. Therefore, the Selection Committee reviews the class composition as a whole when selecting candidates.
The selection committee will be looking for the following in your application:
- A demonstrated personal commitment to community service and to solving community problems. Leadership may be demonstrated through a variety of initiatives including traditional and non-traditional activities.
- Demonstrate a strong interest in and the potential for creating positive change and being a strong leader for the common good of the entire community.
- High standards of personal quality and integrity.
Who reviews the applications?
A Selection Committee of advisors and chamber leaders ensures that participants in LEC represent the diversity of the greater Ellis County community.
What is the time commitment?
- 24 hour, overnight opening retreat in September at Lakeview Camp
- Ten full-day sessions once a month (September – June)
- Graduation celebration in June
- Participation in a class project
I am not sure I can attend all of the class days - can I still participate?
In order to accomplish the program’s stated objectives, attendance and full participation of each individual selected is necessary. Participants must be able to commit to the full class schedule below and class project. We highly encourage staying overnight at the retreat. This will help build camaraderie with the group. However, we realize that “life happens” sometimes. Therefore, we do allow for two excused absence per class year. More than three absence could disqualify a program participant from graduating from the program.